Cornflake Tart – Vegan Dessert Recipe
It was always a good day at primary school if there was Cornflake Tart for dessert. I’m not sure of this is something exclusively Northern in its inception as I have known people look perplexed at the concept of a dessert featuring a breakfast item usually coated in milk! If you think the only way you can make a speedy pud out of this store cupboard essential is by melting chocolate and sticking them in a cupcake case you were wrong 🙂
To make the recipe even easier, buy ready rolled shortcrust pastry from the supermarket. Many are vegan friendly and using this cheat shaves a lot of time off the prep. If it’s good enough for the guys on Masterchef, it’s good enough for me 🙂
The ingredients below were for a 14′ by 8′ inch case.
Vegan Cornflake Tart
1 sheet of ready rolled shortcrust pastry
125g Golden Syrup
55g of vegan butter
200g of regular cornflakes (look out for Vit D in ingredients to see whether suitable for vegans)
55g caster sugar
Pinch of salt
150g of Strawberry Jam
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3.
- Line a tart or quiche dish with the shortcrust pastry, leaving an excess over the edge as it will shrink during cooking. Prick the base with a fork.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- In the meantime heat the butter, golden syrup, sugar and salt in a large saucepan on a low heat.
- Once the sugar is dissolved fold in the cornflakes until they are all coated in the mix.
- Remove pastry case from the oven and tidy up the edges of the pastry with a knife. Spread base with jam.
- Pour on the cornflake mix and level off with a wet knife.
- Bake the tart for an additional 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool and serve with Oatly Custard or make your own using Birds Custard Powder and plant milk.
Thanks for reading,