Vegan and Gluten Free Banana Bread Recipe
My son’s school occasionally has bake sales and, with allergies in children quite common now, I have a list of ingredients to avoid using. This one bowl recipe is very simple to make, and the nuts can be left out if necessary. I prefer without, as I find they can make the bread a little dry. I’ve not tried with fruit as neither the Teen or I are keen on the dried variety.
I’ve been using this recipe now for a while, as this Instagram photo shows. It pre-dates Mr. Canny’s veganism by a long way!
This banana bread, which can be made using gluten-free flour, contains no egg or dairy. The Mr. is a big fan, especially when it is served warm with vegan-friendly ice cream. I hope you enjoy this simple recipe, and may start posting a few more from time to time as I become more active in the kitchen.
Vegan Banana Bread
225g Plain flour (or use self-raising flour and reduce the Baking powder to 2 heaped tsp)
3 heaped tsp Baking powder
100g Brown sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
3 large black bananas, mashed
75g Vegetable or Sunflower oil (weight)
50g Dried fruit or nuts (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
Mash the peeled bananas with a fork. Mix well with oil and sugar.
- Add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon, and combine well.
- Add any additional ingredients.
- Bake in a greased and lined 2lb loaf tin for 20 minutes, before checking. Cover with foil if the loaf cake is browning too quickly. Bake for another 40 minutes (approximately).
- Allow to cool before slicing. It’s delicious freshly baked but even better the following day.
Thanks for reading,