Lemon Drizzle Cake – Vegan Dessert Recipes
Making a cake has always been a daunting affair for me, but it’s even harder now I have to use substitute products to replace the dairy butter and eggs I would have historically used to make the batter. I’ve come up with this lovely Lemon Drizzle Cake that uses oil in place of the egg and still creates moist sponge. I’ve found the cake is actually better the day after cooking as it allows the lemon flavour time to soak into the base. You can use a loaf tin instead of a cake round but on this occasion I couldn’t locate mine! I suspect the Teen left it at school last time I made his favourite Banana Bread for a bake sale 🙂
Vegan Lemon Drizzle Cake
275g Self Raising Flour, sieved
200g Caster Sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
Zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
100ml vegetable oil
170ml cold water
Juice of 1/2 lemon
To make the Icing
150g Icing sugar, sifted
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- Preheat oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6. Grease and line the cake tin (or loaf, depending on your preference).
- Mix together the sifted flour, sugar, baking powder and zest in a large bowl. Add the lemon juice, oil and water and mix thoroughly until smooth.
- Pour into the lined tin and bake for around 30mins, or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for a further 10 mins before removing.
- When the cake has cooled make the icing by sieving the icing sugar into a bowl and mixing in enough lemon juice until it is thick enough to pour over the cake. Add a little juice at a time to ensure the icing doesn’t become too thin.
- You could add some grated zest as decoration but cake never lasts long in my house to be so fancy!
Thanks for reading,
Love cake? Check out the cheat’s way to make an awesome dairy free Chocolate Cake here.