I stumbled upon a recipe on BBC Good Food for Vegan Cannelloni (which you can check out here) which replaced the standard ricotta mixed with spinach for silken tofu. As the Canny Teen loves tofu I decided to give it a try. I found the mix was a bit too dry unfortunately, which meant that pasta didn’t really cook as well as it could have in the heat of the oven with the generous coating of homemade tomato sauce.
Not wanting to give up, I found that Tesco had a dairy and egg free White Lasagne Sauce available and decided to give that a go instead. I have a Béchamel Sauce recipe on the blog already, but was looking for something a little thinner in consistency and quicker to help with the assembly. I also avoiding using pine nuts in my version because of allergies.
The results were impressive, and even my meat eating MIL tucked into seconds. I use two 18cm by 24cm baking dishes with the ingredients quoted here, with some leftover cannelloni tubes for my next batch. I used a new vegan cheese we found while in Dublin called Nature et Moi towards the end of the bake to see how it melted, but any dairy-free alternative you are happy with can be sprinkled on for the final flourish. I would normally also mix the cheese with breadcrumbs for a crispy topping, but because some do this naturally I’m wary about doing so now. I hope you enjoy this simple recipe!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 x 400g chopped tomatoes
- 400g bag of Spinach
- 1 jar of Tesco (or any brand) Free From White Lasagne Sauce
- Tesco Cannelloni Pasta Tubes (egg free)
- Vegan Cheese to top (if desired)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan, add the onion and 1 clove of garlic and fry until softened. Pour in the tinned tomatoes, season and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook for around 10 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan and add the remaining garlic clove and then the spinach. Wilt spinach, then squeeze out the excess liquid. I used a sieve for this.
- Mix the spinach with the jar of Lasagne Sauce – there’s no need to heat as it will be cooked in the oven. Spoon the contents into the dried pasta tubes and assemble in each baking dish. Repeat until both are lined with the pasta.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas Mark 6.
- Pour over half of the sauce into each dish. If you are using a larger dish than mine adjust the amount according. Cook for 30 minutes, checking to ensure the sauce doesn’t dry out.
- Sprinkle over the vegan cheese 10 minutes before serving, along with breadcrumbs (if using). Serve with lots of salad.
Thanks for reading,