I have recently been talking about Follow Your Heart’s Vegan Egg, a product designed to mimic real eggs in recipes. It is incredibly realistic, down to a pungent whiff as you open up its packaging. But what if you were never really keen on eggs in the first place, like me? What can a vegan use to fill the void left by egg on a Full English, for example? The answer is Scrambled Tofu. At first I was sceptical of how this would work but the results speak for themselves.
For this recipe I used firm silken tofu which doesn’t need pressing in the way other tofu does. I thought this would replicate the ‘silky’ texture good scrambled eggs allegedly have. It is a very simple recipe too, so is something you can quickly cook if you’re feeling hungry and need something fast. Tofu is also a good source of protein and iron for those who are concerned about ensuring they have a balanced meal. You can use black salt or kala namak as it is otherwise know to give the mix an eggy taste. As I was never keen on eggs pre-veganism I have omitted this from my recipe, but substitute the salt for this, if using.
1/2 block of extra firm silken tofu (this can be purchased at stores like Holland & Barrett and doesn’t need to be pressed)
1 tsp Nutritional Yeast
1/2 tsp Tumeric
1/4 tsp Ground Cumin
1/4 tsp Paprika
Pinch of Salt
1 tbsp. of water
1 Spring Onion, finely chopped
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 clove of garlic, minced
- In a small bowl mix together the yeast, turmeric, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper and water together and set aside.
- Warm the frying pan up with a little bit of oil and gently sauté the spring onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Take the tofu and roughly chop into pieces. It doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Add this to the pan and pour on the seasoning.
- The tofu will take on the yellow from the turmeric so try and ensure the tofu is properly coated.
- As the tofu is cooking gently break down the pieces further with a wooden spoon. Cooking this is similar, in certain respects, to cooking scrambled egg.
- After a few minutes the scramble will be ready. The result you want to achieve is pictured below.
- Serve with veggie sausages or on toast, sprinkled with chopped coriander.
Thanks for reading,